The St. John typeface is a private commission for a Clerkenwell institution. It’s based on Caslon, an ‘old serif’ typeface, manufactured in the 1700s in Clerkenwell by William Caslon, ‘Letter-founder to the King’.
Where possible, St. John references the original type specimen sheets of Caslon, published in 1798 and held in the archives at The British Library. Caslon became globally popular throughout the 1800s and a version of the typeface was used for America’s Declaration of Independence.
William Caslon’s letter-foundry was located on Chiswell Street in London, east of the Barbican Centre. He’s buried in the grounds of St. Luke’s Church, Old Street.